Thursday, July 8, 2010

Ah, the Post Office

On today's agenda are trips to the post office, bank, and library.

The bank I can handle. The post office, depends on who is there. My regular location has three clerks-Sweet, Surly, and Senile, but since packages have to fly ( Henry Rollins and NPH, check your mailbozes in the next few days) and I am too cheap to UPS, I deal with it. I also have to go to the library, where I live in fear of Doddering Old Guy Who Works in CD Area And Always Wants To Walk When I Just Want To Search Music And Be Left Alone.

I am smart. I travel with a book, which helps when the PO is overrun, which is usually when I am there, doesn't matter what time I go. I'm tempted to wear headphones to the library, but I hate being That Guy, the one who wears headphones in a veiled attempt to block out people, but you gotta understand, this guy is really annoying. But at least I am rewarded with the smells.

Old post offices and libraries of all ages have that smell. You know it if you've ever been in one. I wonder if it comes pre-bottled and they pay the janitors to spritz it around. They are going to have to, if all the gloom-and-doomers who are predicting the end of books and postal service are proved right. Can you imagine a world without the musty scents of old books and cardboard boxes?

No comments:

Post a Comment